Hi Jim,

as you know my vision about Tuscany architecture is still limited, but I was wondering whether one of the JMX implementation at the Felix project could help you. Take a look at http://cwiki.apache.org/FELIX/mosgi-managed-osgi-framework.html

This solution is tied to adopt an OSGi container. I thought that assemblies could be deployed as bundles, and the SCA system controlled using an OSGi-based JMX console.

Is this approach feasible for you or you prefer to add JMX support directly to the kernel?

francesco

Jim Marino wrote:
Over the past couple of weeks we have made progress in upgrading the capabilities of the kernel, including starting support for a standalone server, JMX, and SCA deployment. In addition, we have made changes that have allowed us to support existing SCA features such as multiple bindings for services and references as well as implement recent spec changes such as the introduction of autowire in the assembly model. Related to this, Jeremy has begun work to further modularize our source tree with the goal of allowing us to release the kernel and extensions independently.

Given this, I would like to get another release of the kernel going shortly. Some of the features I am personally interested in seeing are:

- A standalone service with JMX support for management
- A functioning deployment implementation that corresponds to the current SCA deployment proposal for contributing and mutating assemblies - Closer alignment with the Java C&I specification (scopes, conversations, autowire attributes, eager initialization semantics, support for resources) - Closer alignment with the assembly specification (multiple bindings per service/reference, property overrides) - Improved extension support, including classloader isolation (i.e. use of multiparent classloading)

Another key goal I would like to see is a focus on hardening the kernel. We still have a number of critical code paths which are fragile and have little to no test coverage.

I would ideally like to get a kernel release out by the end of the month that extension developers can use which is fairly stable and robust. Depending on the outcome of changes under consideration by the SCA collaboration, this would put us in a fairly good position to support a significant number of features by the time the specifications are released in their "1.0" form.

Thoughts?

Jim