From: Jean-Sebastien Delfino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: Kernel Alpha2 Release
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:35:56 -0700

[snip]
Jeremy Boynes wrote:
I like the timing - about a month, 6 weeks at the most is a good window between releases in early stages like we are.

+1 from me

I agree federation is the big delta between now and then - we should have by then
* federated classloading (with multi-classloader support)
* federated scope
* the changes done for separating controller and physical runtime
* contribution store and artifact redistribution

It would be good to increase the spec coverage e.g.
* support for casting between proxies and service references
* support the new Conversation API
* clean up around complex properties - specifically being able to use an external file to configure the server runtime
* some more integration tests

Yes it will be good to increase the spec coverage. Adding to your list, I'd also like to support things like: - Ability to override service/reference/property configuration at the componentType/component/composite level. - More coverage of the SCDL 1.0 syntax with things like qnames on composites, or composite resolution without requiring a scdlLocation attribute for example, I think we need to do some work to bring our SCDL model in sync with the latest revision of the spec. - Complex and multi-valued properties (I think Venkat has done some work in that area that could be included too)
- Support for both WSDL and java interfaces and mapping between the two

I can also help bring over some of the integration tests from the integration branch.

Also, user support such as:
* the composite plugin (i.e. pick an archive type)
* JUnit4/TestNG support in the itest plugin
* contribution tool (command line and plugin?)
* a start on some form of console
* some more samples
* doco for all the above

This looks good to me, I also want to have a very minimal runtime that will work without a Tuscany launcher.

There is already support in the runtime for standlone server other than the laucher with some basic JMX management.

The Guice idea is intriguing - support for their PM and annotations would be good. I also would like to take a look at using their EDSL for assembly - perhaps for hooking up the runtime as an alternative to SCDL.

Yes, this is an interesting idea. I like the idea of trying to use an alternative to SCDL to hook up the runtime.

Finally, I'd like to see if we could turn kernel/core into a few smaller modules for this release.

--
Jeremy