One of the problems with not assigning the specific fix version to JIRA's
till the end is that you can't see whats outstanding from the JIRA overview
page which is something I've found useful and have used it in past releases
to manage what things need to get done. See
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY

Maybe just more knowledge about how the versions get used would be enough?

  ...ant