From: Pete Robbins [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:02 AM
To: tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org
Subject: Re: C++ SDO spec compliance/portability: SDORuntimeException

Michael,

An interesting set of questions! I'm not convinced that adding methods
to the spec api classes is a compliance issue (in fact it may be
impossible to implement without modifying the spec apis ... constructors
etc.) but it could be a portability issue if it is not clear that the
methods are implementation specific.

The methods below are added so that an SDORuntimeException can contain a
"stack" of locations indicating where it was thrown/rethrown etc.. These
are only used within the Tuscany implementation so I guess could be
moved to protected and make the classes that use them friends?? I'm not
sure how useful these are anyway but the exception class pre-dates it
being used for SDORuntimeException.

There are also methods to allow simple streaming:

catch(SDORuntimeException& e)
{
   cout << e;
}

I like the simplicity of this but I guess we could write an SDOUtils
method to do something similar instead.

I'm not sure if any of these should be mandated by the specification.

Cheers,

On 21/06/07, Michael Yoder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Tuscany SDO C++ class SDORuntimeException has these public member
> functions which do not appear in the C++ 2.1 specification:
>

> SDO_API severity_level getSeverity() const; SDO_API void
> setSeverity(severity_level sev); SDO_API void setMessageText(const
> std::string& msg_text); SDO_API void setExceptionLocation(const
> std::string& file,
>                                    unsigned long line,
>                                    const std::string& function="");
> SDO_API void setLocation(const std::string& file,
>                           unsigned long line,
>                           const std::string& function="");
>
> SDO_API void trace(const std::string& text="%1:\n  %3 %4 %2");
>
> SDO_API virtual ostream& PrintSelf(ostream &os) const; SDO_API friend
> ostream& operator<< (ostream &os, const SDORuntimeException &except);
>

> What's the rational behind these additional member functions? Would it

> be appropriate to file a bug to have them removed from the public API?
> Or alternatively a bug for them to be submitted to the spec committee?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Yoder
> Software Developer
> Rogue Wave Software