Venkata Krishnan wrote:
Hi Sebastien,

Yes its quite bizzare and thats probably to do with how I am seeing a way
out.  Here it is...

- A policyset has this 'appliesTo' attribute that is an xpath expression
that should be evaluated against the scdl fragment which is parent element
to a binding or implementation element.  If the result of the evaluation
includes the binding or implementation then the policyset is applicable to
that binding or impl.

- Having said that, its now a question of when this validation is to be
done.  Since we need a complete PolicySet information that will include the
'appliesTo' attribute as well, this is something that we have to do
post-resolve which I think is the build phase.

- Now during the build phase, we have the binding instance and from it we
get the attached policyset (which is fully resolved) and from within that we
get the appliesTo attribute.  But what we don't have is the scdl fragment
over which the xpath is to be evaluated i.e. the parent element of the
binding which is a composite service / reference or a component service or
reference

So thats the problem is about get hold of this scdl fragment.

OK I think I get it now :) If I understand correctly what you're suggesting:

- We need to validate the Xpath expression in the PolicySet.appliesTo attribute, for example <policySet name="Foo" appliesTo="binding.ws"/> means that we'll have to check that it's only applied to Web Service bindings (in XML <binding.ws>).

- This can only be done once all policy declarations have been combined / overriden / aggregated etc. in the assembly "build" phase.

- You're thinking about evaluating the Xpath expression against the SCDL representing the binding and the polices applied to it, and that's why you're thinking about using the ArtifactProcessor write() methods to produce that SCDL, then parse it back and give it to XPath...

If this is correct, then I have two comments:

- It is not clear to me that the intent of the spec is to evaluate the XPath expression only against the SCDL. It says it, but it also seems to contradict that statement in one of the samples, with [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I would be surprised if impl="axis" was actually in the SCDL. Instead I'd imagine that impl="axis" would be a characteristic of a particular implementation of <binding.ws>, not exposed to app developers but used by the policy framework to either select that axis-based implementation over another one when it sees that policy, or validate that the <binding.ws> implementation in use in your runtime configuration can actually apply the requested policy.

So basically, an SCDL-only based approach may not work, and I'd suggest to seek clarification from the SCA spec workgroup before going down that route.

- The other comment is that this kind of validation is great... in a tool, but I'm not sure that we need to perform all of it in the runtime, specially if it means, read XML + combine policies + write XML back + parse it back + Evaluate XPath on it... Do we really want to do all that at application startup time??

Maybe we could check with the Eclipse SOA Tooling Platform project what kind of Policy validation they're planning to do in the tooling?

Hope this helps...

Thanks

- Venkat