[snip]
Raymond Feng wrote:
At this moment, the code works as Ignacio described. We defer the activation of a reference to the first time it's used for invocation. If we decide that we need to agressively start the reference bindings, we can add the part back to CompositeActivatorImpl.

I think we need to activate references when the component that owns them is activated, to keep the semantics of of start()/stop() clear, and allow providers to perform any initialization they need on references (which are not so different from services in many aspects).