To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:53 PM
Subject: Writing a Mojo to generate build.xml for Tuscany application modules, was: TUSCANY-1750

Raymond Feng wrote:
Hi,

I spent a few hours debugging this problem. And it turned out a big surprise to me. The issue has nothing to do with the code. Believe or not, the culprit is the trailing space in the value for the location attribute of the <pathelement> in the build.xml.

<pathelement location="../binding-echo-extension/target/sample-binding-echo-extension.jar "/>

As a result, the jar is not added to the classpath by ant on Linux (but it works on Windows). Then the tuscany code doesn't handle the <binding.echo> and there is no effective endpoint for ComponentB.echoReference.

Removing the trailing space fixes the problem! What can I say :-(? I have to claim those whoever wrote this build.xml owes a case of beer :-).

We've spent so much time testing these handwritten build.xml files... How about writing a generator that will generate a correct build.xml from the Maven pom?

It looks like the only variables are:
- the name of the module
- if it's a JAR or a WAR
- the dependency JARs
- for a JAR the name of the main class
... so generate a build.xml shouldn't be too hard.

Anybody interested in writing a Mojo for that?