ant elder wrote:
On 9/27/07, Simon Laws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>

  $1 Not sure about createDomain. It adds potential confusion. People will
have
     to decide when to create and when to get a domain. In out model of
having a central representation of the domain
     it works quite well in that in one place you "create" and everywhere
else you "get" but doesn't work so well
     in other models, e.g if there is no central manager and that each
domain object holds references to all other domain
     objects and nodes. Do you "create" or do you "get". How about we take
this out and assume there is a different SCADomainFactory
     impl instantiated (via newInstance) in the case where we want to do
the
creation step?

I agree, I'm already confused about this so any way to make it clearer or
avoid having to think about it sounds good to me. Can't it just be
getSCADomain(uri) and under the covers that gets it if the runtime can find
an existing domain with that uri otherwise it creates a new one? Thats a
fairly common pattern so shouldn't confuse anyone

   ...ant

-1, with your proposal a new domain will get created in SampleClient if the domain service is not available for some reason, and that's not what I want to happen in a client.

I think we need to distinguish between:
- the runtime code that creates and manages a domain
- application code that connects to and uses a domain