> An alternative to what we do now with all the licenses embedded in the one
> top level LICENSE file is to include the licenses in individual files
> either
> in a separate licenses folder or in the same folder as the dependency so
> its
> real easy to see if any are missing and what they apply to. I thought that
> was discouraged but it seems to be becoming acceptable again and makes
> thing
> clear i think.

+1 Having separate license files, one for each dependency where appropriate,
doesn't mean we can't concat them together into a top level if that is
required.

Another thing that would help a lot is to use the Maven plugins to help
> generate our legal files instead of creating them by hand.

Me immediate reaction is that I don't think having more maven plugins is a
good thing. A while back I looked at the plugin configuration that CxF use
to generate their license information and it seemed effective but ultimately
seems like quite a complicated way of reading a configuration file that maps
dependencies to licenses. Probably OK if you wrote the plugin but personally
I found it quite difficult to follow. Maybe I didn't spend enough time on
it. I know more about releases now so I'll take another look and see if it
is clearer.