On 29/01/2008, sebb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 29/01/2008, Simon Laws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > An alternative to what we do now with all the licenses embedded in the one
> > > top level LICENSE file is to include the licenses in individual files
> > > either
> > > in a separate licenses folder or in the same folder as the dependency so
> > > its
> > > real easy to see if any are missing and what they apply to. I thought that
> > > was discouraged but it seems to be becoming acceptable again and makes
> > > thing
> > > clear i think.
> >

> > +1 Having separate license files, one for each dependency where appropriate,
> > doesn't mean we can't concat them together into a top level if that is
> > required.
>
> I'm not sure that separate LICENSE files are allowed (tried to find
> that out recently), but even if they are, AFAIK the main LICENSE file
> would have to have pointers to the additional files, so could not be a
> vanilla AL 2.0 anyway.
>
> > Another thing that would help a lot is to use the Maven plugins to help
> > > generate our legal files instead of creating them by hand.
>
> There have been some discussions about this in Commons which have yet
> to be resolved. I would wait until those are resolved and the
> documentation is updated before going that route.
>

> > Me immediate reaction is that I don't think having more maven plugins is a
> > good thing. A while back I looked at the plugin configuration that CxF use
> > to generate their license information and it seemed effective but ultimately
> > seems like quite a complicated way of reading a configuration file that maps
> > dependencies to licenses. Probably OK if you wrote the plugin but personally
> > I found it quite difficult to follow. Maybe I didn't spend enough time on
> > it. I know more about releases now so I'll take another look and see if it
> > is clearer.
>
> See above.

Just had a look at the CXF NOTICE file, which looks a mess to me. For
example, it includes the line:

"This product includes/uses software(s) developed by 'an unknown
organization'  "

which is not exactly helpful or accurate (or grammatical!) ...

The NOTICE should only apply to software that is included in the
distribution, not transitive dependencies - i.e. the "/uses" should be
removed.

Etc. - please don't go there until the requirements are clarified and
the plugin amended to work as per the requirements ...