To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: Classloading code in core contribution processing

Sebastien,

Cut some sections and reordered for readability.

Rajini Sivaram wrote:
> ContributionTestCase in itest/contribution-classloader contains a test
which
> runs into stack overflow if classes are resolved using ModelResolver. I
have
> added another test in there for testing for ClassNotFoundException in
the
> same scenario. To trigger the failure, you need to modify
> ContributionClassLoader.findClass to use the model resolver of > exporting
> contributions to resolve classes instead of their classloader.

Great to see a *test* case for cycles, but my question was: Do you have
a *use* case for cycles and partial packages right now or can it be
fixed later?

No, I dont have an use-case, at least not an SCA one. But there are plenty
of them in OSGi - eg. Tuscany modules cannot run in OSGi without support for
split-packages.  Of course you can fix it later. But IMHO, breaking
classloading to improve modularity is hardly worthwhile (all the
classloading related implementation code is now contained in
contribution-java, so the improvement will be very marginal). Classloading
errors tend to be hard to fix because classloading is often triggered by the
VM and not explicitly by the application. If potential stack overflows are
introduced into classloading, it wont be long before someone else complains
"All this complexity related to classloading makes my head spin". And
chances are we will be back to a single CLASSPATH based classloader. That is
just my opinion.

Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini