With 1.2 almost out the door how about starting to think about our next
release...

We've had several discussions in the past about restructuring and cleaning
up the distributions, build, and SPIs etc, is this the time to do that?
Looking about the code there's many things that could be tidied up but we've
been leaving them to keep backward compatibility, if we start this type of
thing now it will make the next release not backward compatible so we need
to agree this is the right time. We could make a new 1.x branch to use as a
maintenance branch for the previous releases so we can still get fixes out
for them.

Leaving aside for now any detail about what the clean up and breaking
changes might be what do you all think about doing this in the next release?
I think its the right time so am in favour of starting this.