On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Ramkumar R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
> Noticed an issue, while we do itest to test the exception messages raised
> by
> the monitor during the validation, since we are still throwing all kind
> of exceptions from the code, for any kind of exception that's thrown the
> domain creation is stopped and hence we end-up in returning null for the
> domain.
>
> Since we have the domain as null, it would not be possible for us to catch
> hold of the monitor and check if we have got the required message.
>
> I believe we need changes in the code, by either ways:
> 1. To create a monitor and ask the domain to make use of the same, so that
> we have a control over the monitor. OR
> 2. Allow the domain creation to complete, irrespective of any user-errors
> that are encountered during validation.
>
> Like to know your thoughts on this. Thanks.
>

> On 5/13/08, Ramkumar R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Patches for TUSCANY-2277 are now available with the following changes:
> >
> > - The monitors now have access to all of the errors and warnings that
> are
> > raised during validation in the read, resolve and build phase of an SCA
> > composite.
> > - The code still throws all kind of exceptions as it was doing earlier,
> > avoid a null pointer exception in furthur processing.
> > - All the exception/warning messages are customized using specified
> > resource bundle. Each module has its own resource bundle.
> >
> > Here are few work items that are currently in progress:
> > - itest for the validation errors.
> > - Identify which exceptions are safe to ignore, so that we allow the
> > processing to proceed furthur. This way we could catch hold of max
> possible
> > user-errors in one go.
> >

> > On 5/6/08, Simon Laws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > this
> > > messageID of
> behaviour

> > > able to

> > > report

> > > The suggestion is still that monitors get access to all the
> > > errors/warnings
> > > that the system generates for display to the user so you will be able
> > > take the same approach.
> > >
> > > Simon
> > >

> > --
> > Thanks & Regards,
> > Ramkumar Ramalingam
>

> --
> Thanks & Regards,
> Ramkumar Ramalingam

Hi Ram

I think the problem we have here is that we choose to use the node as part
of the validation testing. I view the node as a standalone piece of code
whose function is to run composites. It's not designed to have an external
interface that provides the detailed results of validation failures other
than through throwing an exception. We will actually have to update the node
to do some analysis of the contents of the monitor in order to throw an
exception containing suitable information.

I think what we need to do in our validation testing is use some of the more
detailed runtime apis so that we have more control of the monitor. I.e. do
what we likely have to do it we were to write a tool that was focused on
contribution processing and reporting of validation errors.

So what I suggest is that we look at samples/domain-management and we can
probably use the code there to get a runtime up for contribution processing
that allows us the access we need to the monitor.