Scott Kurz wrote:
That 'generate-sdo' only generates the Java types from the schema types,
right?

It's the WSDL2Java which maps portType operations t**o Java methods and
(last I checked) our
W2J is the only tool which knows how to do this with an SDO databinding.

Are the Java Service Endpoint Interfaces generated from WSDL portTypes
when using an SDO databinding different from what JAX-WS would produce
when using a JAXB databinding?  Or are the differences confined to the
Java code that's generated for the XSD types referenced in the WSDL?
If possible, it would be good if we could use standard tools to generate
the Java SEIs, and SDO-specific tools for the XSD to Java static SDO
translation.

I'm not sure how useful the SDO-based J2W is, however.   There are a lot of
ways to generate a WSDL and
as long as the work Simon Nash is doing to do a J2W at runtime can handle
SDOs it would seem the tool-time
code could be abandoned.

I'd like to get the runtime part working properly before I start
looking at what is needed to make the same functionality available
from the tools.  In principle this seems like the right approach,
but it might be quite a lot of work depending on environmental
differences and how much flexibility we want to enable through
different codegen options.

For example, the runtime code introspects the contribution to locate
the XSDs that correspond to SDO static types.  At tool time, there
would need to be command-line options to say where to find the XSDs.

Another difference is that the runtime code code works by
introspecting Java classes loaded into the current VM.  It is
considered bad practice for tools (e.g., rmic) to work in this
way, because of potential interference between the classes
being processed and the tool's own runtime.  As an example,
think of what would happen if a loaded class ran a constructor
that went into a loop, or called System.exit().  Instead, these
tools read class files and generate a "pure data" in-memory
representation of the class information that is then processed.

I suspect there will be a number of such differences.  None will
be insoluble, but all will require effort to design and implement.

  Simon