So, you've got the XML like -

<descript> You are standing in front of a stump. A path leads north. </descript>
<exits> N </exits>

and you have a XSL that works like a CSS?

descript  {font:arial, align:center}
exits style:bolder

Is that a good paraphrasing? How browser dependent would that be? Do
most browsers support XML & XSL?

PS

What's SAX DOM? I know what a DOM is, but what's the SAX? I saw it in
my Python docs when I was poking XMLParser. If/when I work with XML,
would you recommend Python's standard modules for it?

Regards,

Liam Clarke
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:34:30 +0000, Max Noel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> (yes, forgot to CC the list again -- argh!)
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Max Noel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: January 11, 2005 23:33:44 GMT
> > To: Liam Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: [Tutor] More and more OT - Python/Java
> >

> > On Jan 11, 2005, at 23:15, Liam Clarke wrote:
> >
> >> Out of curiousity, having poked around XML while learning about the
> >> JScript DOM, what are you using it for?
> >>
> >> AFAIK, you make up your own tags, and then parse them and display
> >> them, and anyone else could create data using your tags.
> >>
> >> Only thing I've seen that uses XML (remember I'm a n00bie in Python,
> >> Java, Jscript and HTML, so I don't see the real indepth stuff) is MSN
> >> Messenger for it's logs. And MS IE can parse that XML.
> >>
> >> I've been curious as to how it's implemented.
> >>
> >> So yeah, if you want to share your experiences.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Liam Clarke
> >
> >       Well, I plan to use it as a data storage format for a university
> > project (crowd simulation in a shopping center -- coded in Java). I
> > hate binary data formats, and XML is a good unified way to store data
> > as ASCII text, so I figured I'd use it.
> >       Also, XML files can be parsed without too much work, so I can write
> > scripts that will manipulate my data files, in any language ("any"
> > meaning "Python", there).
> >
> >       As a bonus, I've decided to have a look at XSL, which allows me to
> > format a XML file for display in a web browser. It entirely changed my
> > perception of web programming.
> >       I intend to program an on-line browser-based game with some friends
> > of mine later in the year (in Python of course -- I converted them),
> > and now that I've seen what XML and XSL can do, we're so going to use
> > them for data output: the data is in dynamically-generated XML, which
> > links to a (static) XSL stylesheet to tell the browser how to render
> > that data.
> >       Doing things that way has many advantages:
> > 1) Data is separate from formatting. That's always a Good Thing(TM).
> > If I someday decide that I don't like the way the site looks, I
> > theoretically only need to recreate a stylesheet, without touching
> > anything else. (boom! Instant skins!)
> > 2) Most of the "HTML rendering" is going to be done by the user's
> > browser. This, and the way XSL stylesheets are constructed will
> > prevent many bad HTML issues.
> > 3) For the same reason, it will save bandwidth. The XML data will
> > probably take less space than the fully-formatted stuff I'd have to
> > spit out with "regular" HTML, and the XSL stylesheet can probably be
> > cached by the user's browser.
> > 4) In the same line of reasoning, it'll also save CPU time: XML data,
> > being smaller, is generated faster than the equivalent HTML. Granted,
> > the stylesheet is another server request, but it's static, so it puts
> > virtually no load on a server.
> >
> > -- Max
> > maxnoel_fr at yahoo dot fr -- ICQ #85274019
> [...]

'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you damn well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.