Hi,

No What I get if I was to type in
./arg1.py a  b c

All I get is
[]

If i type at the command prompt

python arg1.py a b c

I get ['a','b','c']  as expected

All the other programs and examples I have typed in work fine just by typing in the file name, I don't have to preced the file name with python, only this example. I hope this makes it clearer

Richard G.

Nick Lunt wrote:

Richard,

if you try to print sys.argv[1:] when sys.argv only contain sys.argv[0]
then you are bound to get an empty list returned, [] .

Im not sure I understand the problem you think you've got but here's
what happens with sys.argv for me, and it's correct.

[argl.py]

$ cat argl.py
#!/usr/bin/python

import sys
print sys.argv[1:]

./argl.py []

./argl.py a b c

Is that what your getting ?

Sorry for the late response, I tried all of the the suggestions, including correcting my typo of print sys[1:] and tried print sys,argv[1:], this does now work as long as I run 'python test.py fred joe' it returns all the arguments. If I try just test.py all I get is '[]' . Is there something wrong with my environmental variables in Windows XP, I would like to be able to just use the file name rather than having to type python each time. Any help would be gratefully received.

Richard G.