> > To clarify, what I'm trying to accomplish here is an overarching
application
> > window which contains other windows. At least, that's what it
would look
> > like under Windows.

You mean this would be an MDI Application?
There is usually a special class or attribute to support MDI in theGUI
toolkits.
Searching for MDI in the help/FAQ might help locate what you need?

> > On a Mac, it would just be an menubar globally available
> > and applicable independent of which window happened to be active.

In other words a standard MacOS style aplication.

You also omit X WIndows (Linux, BSD, Solaris etc) from your list but
in those the menu locatio is a user preference and is controlled by
the Window Manager chosen by the user. This raises an interesting
issue around GUI design. One objective should be to "go with the
norm",
that is to follow the paradigm of the underlying platform, and that
includes the placement of controls. Users expect to find the controls,
including menus, in the same place each time, to do otherwise
will invariably make you application less user-friendly. The GUI
toolkits do this for us if we stick to the norm, so there needs
to be a very good reason to depart from the standard layout.

> > I'm not clear on how to accomplish this in PythonCard.

Me neither! But its based on wxWidgets so it might be worth
trawling around there for clues.

Alan G.