Jon Moore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am still working my way through my 'Python for absolute beginners
> book' and have hit a brick wall with one of the end of chapter exercises.
>
> The challenge says:
>
> Improve the function ask_number() so that the function can be called
> with a step value. Make the default value of step 1.
>
> The function looks like this:
>
> def ask_number(question, low, high):
>     """Ask for a number within the range"""
>     response = None
>     while response not in range(low, high):
>         response =  int(raw_input(question))
>     return response
>
> The author has not eluded to 'step values' in anyway that I can see in
> the proceeding chapters!

I have the book and I don't understand what he is asking for in that
question either.

To me a 'step value' would be something that alters a sequence, for
example the third argument to range() is a step value:
  >>> help(range)
Help on built-in function range in module __builtin__:

range(...)
     range([start,] stop[, step]) -> list of integers

     Return a list containing an arithmetic progression of integers.
     range(i, j) returns [i, i+1, i+2, ..., j-1]; start (!) defaults to 0.
     When step is given, it specifies the increment (or decrement).
     For example, range(4) returns [0, 1, 2, 3].  The end point is omitted!
     These are exactly the valid indices for a list of 4 elements.
  >>> range(0, 6)
[0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
  >>> range(0, 6, 2)
[0, 2, 4]