>I did send you a response and it is listed on the gmane archive
>so if you didn't see it something has gone adrift somewhere.

Just searched all my mail, for some reason I did not get this. I will check the
archive. Thanks!

>The solution you posted seems to bear no resemblence
>to the problem you posted? How does this relate to setting
>socket timeouts or using getfqdn()?

Initially I was asking about how to set socket timeouts. But my general query
was just suggestions on how best to detect internet connection upness. Since I
"did not" get any responses to the question in the form of socket timeouts in
particular, I resent the question in a more general form. It was that form that
my last reply was to address. You are right on what it does.

I thought at first it would be best to use something native to the
classes/functions I was using in the standard library if possible. The solution
I ended up with was more general, but serves the purpose.

-Sam