On Sat, 2008-08-16 at 11:20 -0500, W W wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Lie Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>         I agree it is very powerful, at its time, when computers are
>         keyboard-only and terminal-only. But now, most of its power is
>         largely
>         redundant and is pale compared to modern text-editor that do
>         acknowledge
>         mouse as a primary input device.
>
> I've never met anyone who could edit faster with a mouse than I can
> with my basic knowledge of vi.

I think the greatest bottleneck in editing isn't the tool itself, but
how fast the editor can identify what to edit/write next (the slowest
thing attached to a computer is between the keyboard and chair). And if
you're doing an editing contest, I'm sure I can fare _at_least_ as fast
as you.

> Bottom line - you don't like to use vi (or prefer to use your mouse).

Don't take it wrong, I don't hate vi, I like to use it too in certain
circumstances, I only thought it was way too overrated.

> Those of us who use vi have experienced its benefits. (And using
> visual mode to yank helps eliminate counting errors ;) )
>
> Neither of us will change, and making arguments to the contrary is
> worse than arguing about religion (although one could very well argue
> that choice of editors is practically a religion, and I'm sure there
> are many folks out there who defend their editor more than their
> religion).

> Bottom line v.2, People should use what works best for them.

I won't try to change you if you won't. I agree with you though: "choose
what's works best for you". For me: touchpad+keyboard combination allows
the fastest editing speed a typical vim-ers would have a hard time to
match.