"Tim Golden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tim Brown wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to create and append unicode strings to a utf-16 text file.
The best I could come up with was to use codecs.open() with an encoding of 'utf-16' but when I do an append I get another UTF16 BOM put into the file which other programs do not expect to see :-(
Is there some way to stop codecs from doing this or is there a better
way to create and add data to a utf-16 text file?

Well, there's nothing to stop you opening it "raw", as it were,
and just appending unicode encoded as utf16.

<code>
s = u"The cat sat on the mat"
f = open ("utf16.txt", "wb")
for word in s.split ():
 f.write (word.encode ("utf16") + " ")

f.close ()

</code>

TJG

Result: The@揾愀琀 sat@濾渀 the@淾愀琀

word.encode('utf16') adds a BOM every time, and the space wasn't encoded.

utf-16-le and utf-16-be don't add the BOM.  This works:

import codecs
s = u"The cat sat on the mat"
f = codecs.open("utf16.txt","wb","utf-16-le")
f.write(u'\ufeff') # if you want the BOM
for word in s.split ():
   f.write (word + u' ')
f.close()

-Mark