Eric,

I am running under Ubuntu 8.10.

If I use IDLE the up arrow key gives me nothing at all. It does work using iPython which for most testing of ideas and code snippets has replaced IDLE.

My GUI of choice is WING-personal which cost  $30.00 and is by far the best investment I have made for a  very high powered python developing environment and yes of course the open arrow works in that environment also.

Consider, at the least, using iPython.

Good luck,

Robert Berman

Eric Dorsey wrote:
Still doesnt work.. I just get this when I hit the up arrow:
>>> ^[[A

Bah. It works in the 2.5 version that came packaged with it. Thanks for trying :)

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:27 PM, زياد بن عبدالعزيز الباتلي <ziyad.alba...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:19:56 -0700
Eric Dorsey <dors...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did an aptitute install of  ibreadline5-dev and then
> did ./configure and make again, and still don't have any
> functionality to be able to hit up-arrow and get a command repeated
> while inside the interpreter. Any ideas?

I don't know what's wrong, Python should pickup "libreadline" and use
it automatically if it was installed.

Try passing "--with-readline" to the "configure" script.

If that doesn't help, then I'm sorry, I'm out of ideas.

Hope that help.
Ziyad.