Title: Signature.html
Another thought occurred to me about this situation. Suppose I have a dialog with two Entry objects in a dialog object called TwoEntries:
    entry1 = Entry(master, width=10).grid(row=4, column=1)
    entry2 = Entry(master, width=10).grid(row=5, column=1)
and I do not use a StringVar to return the values entered. Is it possible to reach inside TwoEntries, after returning from it, and grab entry1 and 2? It would seem so if the call was dialog=TwoEntries(...).

Wayne Watson wrote:
I have no idea of the history of these variables, but they have very limited descriptions and examples. Maybe someone like Grayson goes into detail on them. Looking at the program I'm concerned about, it almost looks like the use is a learned response to dealing with the widgets used. That's OK. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. It provided a helpful interlude. :-)

Alan Gauld wrote:

"Wayne Watson" <sierra_mtnv...@sbcglobal.net> wrote >

Can you easily construct a simple example where they are absolutely necessary, or at least provide a situation where they are necessary?

I don't think you can. They are a convenience feature not a necessity. But the same can be said of standard dialogs, message boxes etc. You could build all of those from basic widgets but it woulfd be a pain. Sometimes Control variables save you some pain.

Personally I don't bother with them much but others like them.

Alan G

                In mathematics you don't understand things.
                 You just get used to them. -- John Von Neumann
                    (P.S. The same is true in life.)

                    Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

Signature.html