David wrote:
This program generates a report of a Linux System and some important ..conf files. The goal is for users to be able to post their information and compare with others, ask for help etc. Am I using the subrocess module too much because I am comfortable with the commands? Should I just write this type of program in bash. I am trying to get rid of all the comments generated in the report. I got rid of blank lines and lines starting with #. But can not figure out how the get rid of a line like;
        #This is a comment with 5 spaces
I never programed before so everything is new to me.
Here is my code;
http://asterisklinks.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:gentoo_report
The report it generates is at the bottom. I didn't want to post it all here.
Thanks,
-david

Why are you piping the shell while you ordered the shell to redirect output to a file, then dumping the pipe?

def uname_report():
    p = subprocess.Popen("uname -a >> /root/gentoo_report.txt",
                        shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
    return p.stdout.readlines()

You should choose either one, use the pipe and write to the report file yourself (more flexibility) or use the shell >> redirection. Also, I'd rather not use search and replace if I decided to put the report file somewhere else.

PS: for unix-style program, the report should be outputted to the stdout