First, let me say thanks for all the responses! This definitely looks like a useful mailing list for complete noobs like me.

Second, I think my machine is probably set up a little weird. I have Python 2.6.2 installed alongside 3.1.1 so maybe that makes a difference. I'm writing programs in TextMate and running them from there. Which seemed to be working fine until I ran into this "input" issue.

At any rate, I've installed 2.6.2 over again from a fresh download and I think I can move ahead. The example works now as long as I change "input" to "raw_input". This should allow me to get through some more of this tutorial book anyway.

Thanks again, all!  I appreciate the help.

- Warren
(war...@wantonhubris.com)