-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Allen
Sent: Sep 18, 2010 11:45 AM
To: Alan Gauld
Cc: tutor@python.org
Subject: Re: [Tutor] plotting pixels

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Bill Allen <walle...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:38 AM, Alan Gauld <alan.ga...@btinternet.com> wrote:

For plotting pixels I would not use turtle graphics.
That would be a fairly complicated option I'd have thought.
A simple canvas would be easier.

Alan G.

Oh, I see!  I did not realize that Tk had a canvas widget.  That is nice.  I will have to play with that and see if I can get everything done in the code I am working with.  What I am doing is just trying to do a simple Mandelbrot set plot.  It is another bit of coding that I do when learning a new language to get a handle on some of the graphics capabilities, and I am to that point.

-Bill

 It appears that the Tk canvas widget does not support simply plotting a pixel.  However, I can plot a line only one pixel long.   I wonder why they do not simply provide the pixel plot primitive?  I have seen very many graphics packages that do this and I have always wondered why.  The primitive obviously exists in the underlying code, because that is what everything else is built upon.  Does Tk actually have a something like a create_pixel method in the canvas widget that I have missed?

-Bill

Is it naive of me to ask, "Couldn't one write his own plotpixel( ) function using the line() function?"

 .