> Digging a little deeper it seems the idiomatic way to do this in Python
> is to use PIL the Python Imaging Library to create a GIF or bitmap
> image and then insert that into Tkinters cancvas as an image object.
>
> The Pil ImageDraw class has a point() ethod
>
> I've never tried this but it is described in Grayson's (now out of print?)
> book on Tkinter where he uses it to draw a Mandelbrot....
> The book may be available online these days...
>
> Nowdownloadall.com seems to have it although I've no idea
> of the legality of it!
>
> HTH,
>
> Alan G.

Yes, to create a gif or a bmp from the iteration results and then to display
that at the end of the run is by far the most efficient way of producing
Mandelbrot and related sets.  I have actually done it that way before.   I
just have always had a strange preference to see the set as it is being
produced, which is far from efficient.  Kind of a very elaborate progress
bar!  Anyway, I have no real complaints about the Tk canvas methods.  It has
always just been a pet peeve of mine when something as basic and simple as
plotting a pixel is missing.  My complaint on this goes way back to the
ancient days when I had to figure out how to write a plot_pixel primitive in
x86 assembler and then build a graphics library of my own so I could have
pixel based graphics on my old monochrome IBM XT clone that had a Hercules
graphics card in it.  Those were the days!  Mandelbrot sets in 4 shades of
amber-monochrome!    ;-)   I will check out that book you referenced.   I
appreciate everybody's feedback on this.

-Bill