On Sep 26, 2010, at 6:06 PM, Marc Tompkins wrote:

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Bill DeBroglie <bill.debrog...@gmail.com > wrote: Which is great, but when I try and run the same code in the Terminal by calling a program I've written (print("hello world") again) I get the following:

       matthews-macbook:Dawson_Book matthewparrilla$ ./chapter_2.py
./chapter_2.py: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `"Hello World"'
       ./chapter_2.py: line 4: `print("Hello World")'

I'm using a Mac OS X 10.5.8. I had previously downloaded Python 2.6.5 AND 3.1 and had them both on this computer simultaneously but was having trouble with 3.1 crashing. I have since put both in the trash but obviously still have 2.6.5 on my system, I assume that was the version pre-installed on this Mac.

I think that's a shell issue, not specifically a Python issue. You need to include a line at the top of the script to tell the OS how to find the Python interpreter. Try adding this line at the beginning:
#!/usr/bin/env python
Is this what you mean?

matthew-parrillas-macbook:Dawson_Book matthewparrilla$ #!/usr/bin/env python
        matthew-parrillas-macbook:Dawson_Book matthewparrilla$ ./chapter_2.py
./chapter_2.py: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `"Hello World"'
        ./chapter_2.py: line 1: `print("Hello World")'

If so, obviously still no dice.

Your default Python install probably is NOT installed at /usr/bin/ python, but there should be a symbolic link there that points to the actual location. If not, you'll need to adjust things a bit.

--
www.fsrtechnologies.com