Abdulhakim Haliru, 28.12.2010 13:38:
I come from a Cakephp, zend framework angle cutting through ASP.net,VB and
C# at an intermediate level.
[...]
Is python really worth the pain or should I just skip it ?

Given that you already invested your time into learning all of the above (which basically cover about 1 1/2 of several main corners of programming), I think you should really take some time off to unlearn some of the bad habits that these particular languages tend to teach you. Python is a truly good way to do that.

My advice: don't spend too much time reading books. Pick a task that sounds like fun to implement and give it a try with Python. Some would propose exercises from project Euler for this or maybe pygame, but you'll likely have your own idea about what's fun and what isn't.

Stefan