Hey doug please don't be discouraged..., and be glad you didn't start in C++
like me... talk about being discouraged...

But anyways, I just started as well. I've only been programming like 5 months.
So I understand you very much :)

Here are some of the better (more clear) tutorials I ran across in my short
stint as a programmer.

Here is the tutorial I used the most. How to think like a computer scientist
(python version). This tells you stuff, then it gives you practice problems to
reinforce what you just learned. (There are no answers to the problems, but
this
actually helped me learn a lot by researching the answers).

http://openbookproject.net/thinkcs/python/english2e/index.html

Bucky's youtube tutorials, in here he comments as he shows you some concepts
then talks about them. He teaches python in normal english, its not technical
at
all, its very good :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston#p/c/0/4Mf0h3HphEA

And I'm 26... so you are a million years ahead of me :)

One piece of advice I can give is abuse google, almost any question you have
has
already been asked, learn from others who asked before you :) Oh yea, I once
read that there are no intermediate tutorials in any programming language,
because once you get past the basics, you only need to reference the
"documentation" that comes with the language.

I hope this helps.

 What is it about you... that intrigues me so?