"David Goering" <dgoer...@gmail.com> wrote

1) Does anyone have ideas for small - mid ranged projects where I could quickly pick up on the pitfalls of Python but that is also useful in some way ?

Check the recent archives we had a very similar thread a week
or two back. (And fairly regularly over the years!)

I had a small idea where I could write a program to sync two folders mp3 files based on filename and ID3 Tags with a GUI to control it, but would love to hear other ideas.

Go for it, its as good as any to start with. The important thing is
not getting the right project but just getting started on one.

2) Is there some tutorial out there that really leads you from scratch to a full blown program (with GUI or Database connection or whatever) with Code documentation etc. just to see how one could approach it

Thats the intent of the Case Study at the end of my tutorial. It tries
to pull together the threads of the tutor into a single, not too big, project
It also includes a couple of false starts that worked then had to be
taken out again. And the code evolves from a simple program to
an OOP version to a GUI version. Its not partricularly pretty code
but its deliberately done the way a typical newbie who had finished
the tutor might go about things.

If your library can get a copy of my book it has a second, much
more methodical and "nicer", case study of a reusable games
framework and 3 games built using it. It has a bit of design behind it
with some diagrams and pseudo-code and a bit of prototyping at
the >>> prompt work before diving into code. It is intended to
show how an intermediate programmer might go about things.
But due to some copyright complexities I can't put that one
on the web site... :-(

HTH,

--
Alan Gauld