On 25/02/2011 9:44 AM, Patty wrote:

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Pacific Morrowind <mailto:pacificmorrow...@gmail.com>
    *To:* tutor@python.org <mailto:tutor@python.org>
    *Sent:* Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:21 PM
    *Subject:* Re: [Tutor] list of dictionary
    <snip>
    Presuming you do have to use the dictionaries:
    qty = 0.0
    for item in d:

    Right here - is the variable 'item' created right on the spot to
    iterate over this list?  And I think you are doing the same thing
when you create the variable 'subitem' in the line below, right? I am trying to get myself to recognize an iterator variable as
    opposed to a counter variable I create myself  to keep track of
    these things (used in other programming languages) - and realizing
    the difference between counter/iterator variables and variables
    that I really care about like
    Thanks!
    Patty

yes and yes. both item and subitem are created on the spot; anychunk of python code like:
for x in y:
will create x as a variable and with each iteration x refers to the next item in y; Of course if I knew the function of the list/dictionary I'd name them something more informative than item and subitem - like f.e. for lap in d and for time in d if it was refering to races.
Nick