On 24/10/11 20:52, Johan Martinez wrote:

Also, is there any doc link where I can find all the information about
String object - class and instance methods.

>>> help(str)

or even

>>> help("")

For a quick list try dir()

>>> dir ("")

Finally I figured it out ( __length__() ) thanks to ipython shell env.

len(x)

gets converted to x.__length__() by Python.
So you can make any object work with len() by providing
a __length__() method. Similarly you can make any object into a string by providing a __str__() metjod and then str(obj) will work (as will print (obj) )

There are a bunch of these "magic" methods that you can provide to help make your objects appear more like the standard built in objects.

But is there any online documentation or interactive reference like
ruby-ri?

There are various help browsers for Python.
The one that comes with ActiveState Python for Windows is quite good IMHO and integrates with Windows Help too.

But personally I just use dir() and help() and Google...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site