On 12/26/2011 11:52 PM, Thomas C. Hicks wrote:
On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 07:10:45 -0500
Alan Gauld<alan.ga...@btinternet.com>  wrote:

On 26/12/11 11:42, Thomas C. Hicks wrote:

Given it was working before and not now the obvious question is what
has changed? It looks like you are on a Linux box so do you have
automatic updates switched on? Or do you always just accept the
recommendation to update?

In which case try looking at the modification dates of the
library files....

Also has the verion of Excel used to create the files changed?

It looks like the point that the program leaves your code is here:

    File "./cttOverviewMain.0.03.2011.py", line 183, in
writeMonthlyHeader sh.write(7,10,"# Locations",xlwt.easyxf('font:
bold True'))

So that points the finger at the xlwt module. If it has been updated
has the format of that call changed - to a dictionary/tuple of values
for example?

These are all guesses but might give you a starting point.

Incidentally cttOverviewMain.0.03.2011.py seems like a bizarre
name for a file? I assume that's the date or somesuch? What is the
thinking behind that?

Thanks so much for the input Alan, guesses on your part are far better
than the ignorance on my part.  I do get automatic updates (though
xlwt is not part of that, OpenOffice and its xls writing is), will have
to look at that.

Many package managers keeps a history of what packages are installed/updated/removed. You might want to use those to find if OpenOffice or some other libraries had been updated since the last time the script worked.

Also appreciate the thoughts about the file name.  This is my first big
project and I still have much to learn.  If you can point me to a
discussion of file naming when there are multiple files involved in a
project I am game to do some reading!

Use version control, it will relieve you of versioning headache. Nowadays it's pretty easy to setup a DVCS like mercurial or git even for small projects.