On 21-Mar-12 11:03, Abhishek Pratap wrote:
Hi Guys

I am  in the process of perl to python transition for good.  I wanted to

Why? Perl is still a perfectly good tool. Just not, IMHO, good for exactly the same things Python is good for.

1. stitch pipelines : I want python to act as a glue allowing me to run
various linux shell based programs. If needed wait for a program to
finish and then move on, logs if required

Look at the subprocess standard library module. It offers a complete set of options for launching processes, piping their data aound, waiting for them, handling exceptions, and so forth.