On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Abhishek Pratap wrote:
Hi Guys
I am  in the process of perl to python transition for
good.

Welcome!

1. stitch pipelines : I want python to act as a glue
allowing me to run various linux shell based programs.
If needed wait for a program to finish and then move on,
logs if required

You'll want to take a look at the subprocess module. One thing you will notice
is that Perl has a lot more terse syntax when it comes to commands line
integration. That being said, Python is still fully capable.

You may want to check out an Oreilly book called Python for the system administrator by Noah Gift. It doesn't tell you much about each tool but it exposes you to a ton of them.

HTH,
Wayne