On 05-Sep-12 10:40, Alan Gauld wrote:
On 05/09/12 11:04, Matthew Ngaha wrote:

also please could you tell me why you suggest wxPython over GTK?

Support, there are probably more beginner friendly resources for
wxPython than for GTk, although that is changing.

Yeah, and wxPython is a large, comprehensive package that should handle all of your GUI needs and then some. I wrote one tool using wxPython and was quite happy with the results, and pleasantly surprised at the performance of widget updates and refreshes it achieved, even for the bits in pure Python.

that wxPython is the easiet to pick up yet a lot more complete than
Tkinter?

Not sure about that. I started Tk programming back (way back) in my Tcl/Tk phase years ago, so I'm really used to Tk and that may bias me, but I'd say Tkinter is a lot easier to learn than wxPython, partly because it's smaller with fewer moving parts to tweak. And yet, Tkinter is complete enough to be quite satisfactory for a lot of applications. Even after using wx, I've gone back to Tkinter when it sufficed for my applications, since it's a little easier to use and is a lot easier to distribute, coming for free with Python and all that.

this has interested me. is embedded programming a different field to
the type of programming in Python?

Yes, it is usually done using assembler and C or C++.
Some embedded work nowadays is done in Java - a reflection
of how cheap memory has become!

Right. Although Java here doesn't necessarily mean the JVM is running on the embedded machine; it could be Java source code compiled down to something a compact runtime can execute.

--
Steve Willoughby / st...@alchemy.com
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."