On 16/05/13 00:18, Marc Tompkins wrote:
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Marc Tompkins <marc.tompk...@gmail.com
<mailto:marc.tompk...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I was thinking along the lines of an optional parameter ("verbose"
    or something similar), so print() would supply a return value if you
    asked it to but keep stumm if you didn't.

After I hit Send, I thought of the obvious problem...  you'd have to
know ahead of time which version of print() was available, because
you'll get a TypeError if you pass undefined keyword arguments to print().

On the other hand, it'd be a quickie to do that test at the top of your
code...

Or maybe we need a printf function in Python that has the C behaviour (and takes other arguments, such as output stream?)

As to bytes v characters I'd opt for bytes since in dealing with hardware/networks the bytes are more significant than the
characters...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site