On 15 June 2013 03:23, Dotan Cohen <dotanco...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh? Which book is that? I've so far been learning by writing small

=====================

> Learning Python, fifth edition, by Mark Lutz. The fifth edition is a few
> years old but does cover Py 3, and it's more readily available, used. The
> new edition Just came out and is much more Py 3 but I don't have it.

Not sure I'd recommend it as a starter book if it's the Only thing you use
- it's a great book, but huge and very detailed, so it's slow going.
However, I'm retired so I have a lot of time ;')

But you said you go out on the web to try other stuff, which is what I do
when I get bored by the Lutz book, so it might be what you want. One thing
I like is that it's so detailed he tends to explain where you're going to
screw up before you do it. I want the detail since I spent a few year just
hacking at javascript as a webmaster. I'd borrow some code and slap it
around until it did what I wanted for a web page (or ended in disaster ;')
But I didn't really know what I was doing. This time I want Detail, and the
Lutz book has it. In fact, as big as it is, it's only the Intro. He then
has a second companion book to actually learn how to use Python, called
Programming Python. That's newer and is all Python3.

I've installed both Python 2.7 and Python 3.3 (after some gymnastics to
keep them from conflicting), since Py 3 is the future but a lot of great
packages are only for Py 2, so it's good to be able to use both. There's
not really a lot of difference to learn at my level - mostly the print
statement, since a lot of Py 3 stuff was backported to 2.7. There is also a
program that comes with Python, called 2to3, which will translate a Py 2.7
program to a Py 3.3 program. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't -
if my IDE doesn't make a disagreeable honk and give me an even more
disagreeable big, red Traceback, it worked ;')

Jim
After indictment the bacon smuggler was put on the no-fry list