On 06/22/2013 05:01 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
I need to convert a series of digits like 060713 to a string so I can
make it look like a date 06-07-13.

Where is this series of digits coming from? Is it in the source code, or in a file, or coming from the user, or what? If it's in source code, add quotes around it, and it'll be a string. The whole octal nonsense is a non-starter, because it won't handle a date like September 18. Octal numbers only have digits zero through seven.

If the digits are coming from a file, then they're already a string. Don't waste the time converting to decimal and/or octal, just use them.

If they come from somewhere else, then tell us. And while you're at it, tell us the Python version so we have a chance at matching the advice to what you're running.

 >>> a = 060713

That assignment will try to make it octal. If there are digits bigger than 7, it'll fail.

--
DaveA