On 08/07/13 06:43, Nathan Schlaffer wrote:

I have a Windows 7 Laptop. I installed Python Version 3.3.2 this morning
and it worked fine. Then I tried to run a program someone else wrote
(see below)

I didn't see anything related below. What program did you try to run? How did you try to run it?

, and Python closed. Then I couldn't get Python to restart

You need to be clear whether you mean Python or IDLE.
IDLE is a development tool written in Python. To run IDLE you
need Python but to run Python you do not need IDLE.

stilll couldn't start Python,

Python or IDLE?
Can you be more specific about what you are doing? How exactly are you trying to 'start python'?

Second, I tried to run my Python programs today via IDLE but when I
checked the Edit Menu I couldn't find a Run Menu

Which implies that you started IDLE. But IDLE requires Python so you must have solved the first question?

How do I run a program once I have written the code in IDLE?

If you open a new Edit window and type your code (or open an existing file) then there should be a Run menu item. However that should only be used for testing, IDLE is only a development tool. To run a completed program you should only need to double click it in Windows Explorer (assuming all associations/permissions etc are OK)

Of course what you see as a result will depend on the program - does it run in a console? Does it have a GUI? A Web front end? Is it interactive or does it just run and terminate? It all depends...

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site