On 2013-10-08 22:35, Mark Lawrence wrote:
On 09/10/2013 01:50, Alex Kleider wrote:

A recent post recommended the docopt module so I've incorporated it into
the code I'm using to learn SQLite. It's not behaving as I expected.
Here's a snippet of code:

#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding : utf -8 -*-
# file: 'test'
"""Usage: test [new_data | text_entry FILE | show_data ] [-hdv]
[--db=DATABASE] [--tb=TABLE]

-h --help       show this
-d --debug      show debugging statements
-v --verbose    shows table when not absolutely necessary.
--db DATABASE   specify database file to use [default: ./uwomeds68.db]
--tb TABLE      specify table to use [default: matesTb]
"""

You have no definitions for new_data, text_entry, FILE and show_data,
and the use of the square brackets around them looks wrong.

What I believe I'm specifying here is that these are mutually exclusive commands, one of which must be entered. This part is behaving properly.

If you haven't already looked at them there are lots of extremely
useful examples here
https://github.com/docopt/docopt/tree/master/examples.

Thanks, yes, I've been looking there. What I haven't been able to create is an example of my own where a default value is specified in the Usage pattern and gets propogated into the dictionary created by docopt. I haven't yet given up.