I have in front of me a copy an (unread, borrowed) copy of "Python for
Data Analysis".  Well, on page 104, there is the start of an answer.

Pandas : has two useful functions: read_csv and read_table
Numpy : see np.loadtxt and np.genfromtxt

There is an example for using the first numpy function:

arr = np.loadtxt ( fileName, delimiter = ','  )

This information from Python for Data Analysis , author: Wes McKinney
published by O'Reilly - a succinct, useful-looking book.