Quoting Lolo Lolo <losermelo...@yahoo.com>:

Hi Tobias can i just ask. As i already have Python 3.3, when i install this separate version of 3.3, will there be a conflict on the command line when i type python3.3? This install i want just for virtualenvs but i wonder if it would replace my other 3.3 as the default on the command line?

As long as you install the new 3.3 build in a custom path (via --prefix) it will not overwrite your current installation and by default python3.3 will invoke the standard installation (probably in your /usr directory). To use your custom build in virtualenvs make sure you create the virtualenv with the python interpreter of that build (the one in the <prefix>/bin directory). Your virtualenv will link to this installation and when your virtualenv is active, python3.3 will invoke the interpreter from your own build.

I hope this explaination is understandable (and correct), if not just ask. When using virtualenvs the first time I found it very confusing, too.