On 03/01/14 21:53, Keith Winston wrote:

Ladders!). It is a typing tutor, I am inclined to use it to learn Dvorak
but I would expect it easily adapted to QWERTY or anything else.

My concern is with speed. This will have to keep up with (somewhat
arbitrarily) fast typing,

Lets see. The speed record for touch typing is around 150 wpm with average word being about 5 chars, so a speed of about 750 cpm
or 12.5cps That's about 80ms between letters.

Python on a modern PC can probably execute around 100k lines
of code(*) per second or 100 per millisecond. That's 8k lines
executed between each keypress for the worlds fastest typist.

I used  to use a typing tutor that was written in old GW Basic
on the original IBM PC (speed 4.7MHz) and it had no problem
analyzing my stats (albeit at a modest 40-50 wpm).

I'd worry about speed after you find you need to.

(*)Caveat: I haven't tried any kind of objective test and
of course some Python 'lines' are equal to many
lines of simpler languages - think list comprehensions.
But in practice I still don't think you will have a
big problem.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site