On 01/04/2014 10:14 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
While I agree with Devin, it is possible to write absurdly slow code in
*any* language. This is why is is better to write straightforward,
simple code in preference to complicated, intricate code -- it is easier
to understand simple code, which means it is easier to work out which
bits are bottlenecks and do something about them. Then, only if it turns
out the code is too slow, do you add complexity to speed it up.

+++

I would add: it is preferable to write _clear_ code, in the widest sense of "easy to understand". Simplicity is not the only factor or clarity (good naming, using right constructs [1], direct mapping from conception to code structure & logic...); also, some simple schemes are very difficult to figure out (eg various functional programing idioms).

From clear code, everything else is easier: modification, extension, improving efficeincy (time and/or space), doc, debugging, testing, trials... I would even say (surprisingly?) that clarity has precedence over correctness: it's easier to correct clear code, while correct but obscure code makes anything else harder.

personal point of view: Issue number 1 in programming is understanding (what code actually means and actually does). That's why we spend about 97.531% of our time thinking ;-)

Denis

[1] Python's "one good way to do it".