* At this stage in operating systems and python setups, I posit that the
easiest and most meritorious path is to use a "beginner's Linux" that is
easy to install and focuses on a good desktop experience.  The best
offering in this area right now is Linux Mint (version 16, "Cinnamon"
edition  http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php).

* You are in a *very* good area for finding a quality laptop on Craigslist.
 I lived in Arlington from 2008-2012 and purchased computer equipment
almost exclusively on the 2nd hand market as it is flooded with recent
cast-offs from well-off techies who sell last generation stuff for a
fraction of what you would pay new.  You should be able to find an Intel
core i3/i5 based laptop in the $225 range locally if you keep an eye out
for a few days.

* High resolution screens are nice but will price you out, so just look for
a typical 15.4" laptop since it will provide a decent sized keyboard and
even if it's only 1366x768, the bigger screen makes it easier on the eyes
when first learning to program.  It also makes it easier for those who may
be watching over her shoulder to help.

*  I would vote against a Chrome OS based device for a number of practical
reasons when considering a computer for learning how to do anything, but
especially coding.

I hope this helps,
 - Kodiak