Hi everyone,

> *  I would vote against a Chrome OS based device for a number of practical
> reasons when considering a computer for learning how to do anything, but
> especially coding.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the above statement: it seems a bit broad.

Anyway, there seems to be an underlying agreement here that, for
programming, a Linux distribution is a good base for programming.

There is the Crouton project, which is to allow installation of Linux
on Chromebooks.

    https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton

Preliminary google search results suggest that the support for the
Acer C720 isn't quite perfect at the time of this writing.  But some
other Chromebooks appear to work fine with Crouton.  I would expect
the support to gradually get better (which is probably a familiar
situation for those who use Linux with new shiny laptops.)

I would not call installing Linux on a Chromebook a scenario that is
quite beginner friendly, so this may not be a good option for a
complete beginner.  It _might_ be a good option for someone who is
very familiar with Linux and willing to hack at it.

I think a lot of folks here don't sympathize enough with how stupidly
difficult software installation can be.  With regards to learning
basic Python programming, regardless of computing environment, one
might look into sites like:

    http://repl.it/languages/Python

which provide an editing and evaluating environment.  Being on the web
does mean you have less control over the environment.   But it also
means you don't have to install anything.  That can be very useful for
a beginner.

There are other web-based computing environments out there.  Having
worked for one in http://wescheme.org and http://bootstrapworld.org, I
do have a responsibility to say: web-based online programming
environments do have their good sides as well.

Good luck to you!