Hi Stephen,

Please see below:

On 5 May 2014 00:17, Stephen Mik <mik.step...@yahoo.com.dmarc.invalid> wrote:
> Dear Python World:
>     I am almost brand new to Python 3.4.0 and am taking a beginning Python
> Programming class at the nearby Community College. One major problem I have
> is time management with beginning pseudo code and coding for my Class
> Assignments.

I'm not sure we can help you with your time management skills, except
that I'd like to gently suggest the obvious: a) the sooner you get
started the better and b) regularly doing small amounts of work is
better than leaving things until the last minute.

As for getting started with pseudo code, this can be done right now.
Pseudo code is simply starting to think about and write down the steps
and procedures in your own words of what you'd like to happen to solve
whatever problem you're working on.

> The instructor prefers Office Hour help,and does not respond to
> email.

I'm not surprised.  I imagine if she allowed students to contact her
out of office hours and over email she'd do little else but deal with
student queries 24 hours a day. ;)

Are you allowed to collaborate with other students?  **If** (and only
if) you're allowed to do so, I'd suggest you could consider doing
this.

It's often beneficial to talk to your fellow students about the
programming problems to gain a better understanding and some
inspiration, and it also practices your programming communication
skills.  (It is often the case in programming courses that you're
allowed (encouraged even) to help each other at some, usually
conceptual level, provided that you still produce and submit your
*own* solutions to the problem(s), obviously you are NOT allowed to
directly share or copy each others solutions.  But please clarify what
is allowed before you do anything.  I don't want to get you into
trouble for illegal collaboration.)

> One of my Class Assignments due on May 9,2014 deals with making a
> version of the "Hangman Game" which I'm sure somebody out there is familiar
> with. The program problem says to use 1.Dictionaries 2. Lists 3.Embedded
> While lists 4.for loops and more.

Can you post the exact problem statement please?

> I can refer to the Textbook for the class
> to get a basic idea of what some of the code will look like,but I cannot
> fathom how to use a Dictionary or List  in order to enhance the Basic
> Hangman Game Problem in the text  (written by Michael Dawson).

OK.  I don't have this book but managed to track down excerpts from it
on Google books:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-WULAAAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

I also managed to track down the web downloadable content here:
http://www.programgames.com/page4.html

I see there's 3 editions of this book.  Which version are you using?

> The Text does
> cover "Dictionaries","Lists","While Loops","For Loops" but doesn't "amplify"
> and show with examples how some of these Data Structures can be used.

Right, I've downloaded the 3rd edition source code for the book and
under the "chapter 5" folder, alongside the "hangman.py" program
you're apparently expected to enhance, you're also actually given the
other example source code from this chapter, e.g.
"geek_translator.py", "hero's_inventory3.py", "high_scores.py",
"high_scores2.py".

These programs contain examples of the use of dictionaries, lists,
while loops and for loops.

So I suggest your book does in fact show examples of how these
structures can be used?

Have you looked at these programs at all and do you follow what they do?

>     If I can't get some ideas and hints from the Python Community by
> Monday,May 5,2014, I will have to hold off this difficult  programming
> assignment until Tuesday,May 6,2014 when the instructor will be available to
> help.

You only posted this request for help *on* the 5th, this leaves
yourself and us (a volunteer group not paid to do support) less than
24h to help you, going by your own timeline above.

It would be better time management next time, if you get started on
your assignments the day they're released, or shortly thereafter,
especially if you're struggling and especially if you intend to to ask
for help from third parties who might take an unpredictable amount of
time to get back to you.

In software it's always a good idea to leave yourself some
"contingency" time to deal with the unexpected and with difficult
problems.

> That leaves me just 3 days to pseudocode,code in Python,fix syntax and
> run-time and Logical errors before I can turn it in by Friday,May 16,2014.

Good luck!

> The instructor will only probably give me a suggestion and not some tangible
> ideas.Any thoughts out there about how to implement the Loops and Data
> Structures into a "Hangman Game" programming problem?

I'd like to see the actual assignment question/requirement in order to
better understand what exactly is required, given that the existing
hangman program in fact already uses:
a) a list
b) a while loop
c) a for loop (nested in an if statement)

What exactly are you meant to produce and hand in?  How is the mark
allocation done?

Hope that helps,

Walter