Hi Jim,

On 8 July 2014 21:45, Jim Byrnes <jf_byr...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I would like to automate running virtualenv with a python script by:
>
> opening gnome-terminal
> cd to proper directory
> run source /bin/activate
>
> I found some examples of using os.system() to get gnome-terminal to open
> but I can't figure out how then cd to the proper directory in the new
> terminal.
>
> My biggest frustration right now is that I can't find any documentation on
> how to use os.system().  Looking at the docs on the Python site I don't see
> system() under the os module.  Googling hasn't helped.

Could you explain what you're trying to achieve?  Virtualenv is about
setting up an OS/Unix shell environment (For Windows there's a Powershell
variant of virtualenv...) so that a custom Python installation is used by
default instead of the system wide on (including possibly using a custom
Python executable.)  It therefore seems that trying to automate
"activating" a virtualenv with python (which presumably would use the
system wide python) is not adding much value? Hence my question: What are
you actually trying to achieve?

Walter